5 Cities With Big Holiday Spenders
December 23, 2011
The holidays are big-spending season, and shoppers are expected to spend, on average, $646 on gifts this year, according to the American Research Group. So which cities will spend the most during the holidays?
The following is a recent list of the expected top-holiday spending cities featured at The Atlantic:
1. Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, D.C.-Va.-Md.-W.V.
2. San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, Calif.
3. Bridgeport-Stamford-Norwalk, Conn.
4. San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont, Calif.
5. Boston-Cambridge-Quincy, Mass.-N.H. (tied)
5. Trenton-Ewing, N.J. (tied)
The survey, conducted by the Martin Prosperity Institute, takes into account 360 metro region’s productivity and wealth, as measured by median household income, per capita income, and average wages and salaries.
Source: “The U.S. Metros That Can Most Afford to Buy Gifts This Year,” The Atlantic (December 20, 2011)
Updated: August 11, 2020