RE/MAX: 5 Predictions for Housing in 2012
January 9, 2012
Better days ahead for the housing market? RE/MAX co-founder and Chairman Dave Liniger thinks so.
Liniger predicts several key factors taking shape in 2012 that mostly will help the residential real estate market finally move toward recovery mode.
“Interest rates will remain at or near historic lows and home prices will stabilize and start to rise by the end of the year,” predicts Liniger “There’s no question, the housing recovery will be slow and steady, but for many cities the turn-around is already happening.”
Here are a few of Liniger’s predictions for the real estate market in the new year:
- The number of home sales will be on the rise.
- Inventories will increase, mostly due to a rise in foreclosures.
- Distressed properties are expected to make up about half of all sales.
- An improved short sale process will take shape to help more home owners avoid foreclosure.
- Foreign and domestic investors will buy 25 percent of homes.
Updated: August 11, 2020