6 Ways to Spruce Up a Home With Staging
June 1, 2012
Studies have suggested that staged homes sell faster, and as such, more sellers may be willing to give it a try.
So what are some staging ideas for sprucing up a property? Thomas Rouse, a design producer at “Extreme Makeover: Home Edition,” offered the following tips in a recent article in The Wall Street Journal.
1. Paint: A fresh coat of paint in a neutral palette can be an inexpensive upgrade with big impact.
2. Have furniture but don’t clutter: Don’t leave rooms empty because potential buyers may struggle to visualize what all you can do with the space. Also, Rouse suggests avoiding furniture with patterns, which can be distracting.
3. TV artwork: Mount a flat-screen TV to a wall and have a slideshow playing on it with images of nature, Rouse suggests.
4. Fill the walls: Don’t leave walls bare, which can make a home feel cold, according to Rouse. Hang photography, framed artwork, and mirrors to spice up the walls.
5. Flower displays: Have fresh-cut flowers in simple glass vases displayed on the dining room table and in other places in the home to bring more life to a space, Rouse says.
6. Gender-neutral bedrooms: Keep bedroom colors neutral and have simple bedding — preferably in white — to make a room feel fresh, Rouse says.
Source: “Set the Stage for a Faster Home Sale,” The Wall Street Journal (May 26, 2012)
Updated: April 03, 2020