10 Safest Places to Live in the U.S.
July 1, 2013
Where are the safest places to live? Sperling's BestPlaces recently ranked cities with populations of 500,000 or more based on the “Most Secure Places to Live in the U.S.” Researchers factored in a range of criteria, including economic stability, crime stats, extreme weather, natural disaster risk, housing depreciation, air quality, life expectancy, car fatalities, among other factors.
The top 10 most secure places to live in the U.S. are:
- Bethesda–Gaithersburg–Frederick, Md.
- Grand Rapids–Wyoming, Mich.
- Pittsburgh, Pa.
- Austin–Round Rock, Texas
- Cambridge–Newton–Framingham, Mass.
- Omaha, Neb.–Council Bluffs, Iowa
- San Jose–Sunnyvale–Santa Clara, Calif.
- San Francisco–San Mateo–Redwood City, Calif.
- Portland–Beaverton, Ore.–Vancouver, Wash.
- Dallas–Plano–Irving, Texas
Source: “America's Safest, Most Secure Places To Live,” Forbes (June 29, 2013)
Updated: June 21, 2018