Safety Tips Your Clients Should Heed
September 19, 2013
Since September is REALTOR® Safety Month, California's Silicon Valley association has joined in reminding its members to regularly review the National Association of REALTORS®' safety tips and share them with their home-buying clients. Here are a few that the association came up with:
- Make sure all doors to the outside of a home are metal or solid hardwood and have good, sturdy locks.
- Sliding glass doors should be secured with commercially available bars or locks.
- Make sure all windows — especially those at ground level — have good locks, and use them.
- Lighting is important, so be sure all porches and other possible entrances are well illuminated. Motion-sensing lights are an especially good option for outdoor lights.
- Keep any bushes or trees that hide doors or windows trimmed.
- Keep a tight rein on trash. Those homeowners who recently bought big-ticket items, such as a new entertainment system, should not put the empty boxes out by the curb. It can attract the attention of would-be thieves. A better idea is to cut the boxes down and stuff them in trash bags.
Source: "Realtors Share Some Tips for Keeping Your Home Secure," San Jose Mercury News (September 16, 2013)
© 2013 Information Inc.
Updated: November 23, 2020