Where Mosquitoes Pose a Big Threat to Owners
May 2, 2017
Mosquitos can be a homeowner’s nemesis. As the temperatures rise, mosquitoes are coming out. The mosquito season typically runs April to October. Yards can quickly become breeding grounds for mosquitoes, particularly your vacant listings, if you don’t take precautions (see sidebar).
Eliminate Mosquito Breeding Areas
Orkin recommends the following tips to help homeowners protect against mosquitoes:
- Remove standing water buckets, toys, and other containers. Mosquitoes can breed in just an inch of standing water.
- Change water weekly in bird baths, fountains, potted plants, and any containers holding standing water.
- Keep pool water treated and circulating.
- Clean gutters regularly so water doesn’t pool.
- Trim shrubbery. Adult mosquitoes like to rest in dark areas with high humidity, like under the leaves of lush vegetation.
- Repair and use window and door screens to help prevent mosquitoes from entering your home. Close gaps around windows and doors.
Source: Orkin LLC
And if you live in Atlanta, you’ll want to take added precaution. Atlanta landed at the top of the list of top 50 mosquito cities in the country, according to Orkin LLC, a national pest company. The Southeast region of the U.S. is most at risk for mosquito problems.
“Mosquitoes are a public health threat,” says Mark Beavers, an Orkin entomologist. “Zika virus is currently one of the most notable illnesses that can be spread by mosquitoes, and it will likely be a problem again this year, especially in areas where the type of mosquito that can carry the virus thrives.”
Orkin ranked metro areas by the number of mosquito customers in both residential and commercial served from April 1, 2016, to March 31, 2017. The following metros have the biggest mosquito problems, according to Orkin:
- Washington, D.C.
- New York
- Miami-Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.
- Dallas-Ft. Worth, Texas
- Charlotte, N.C.
- Nashville, Tenn.
- Tampa-St. Petersburg, Fla.
- Orlando-Daytona Beach-Melbourne, Fla.
- Norfolk-Portsmouth-Newport News, Va.
- Memphis, Tenn.
- Mobile-Pensacola, Fla.
Source: Orkin LLC
Updated: June 17, 2019