New Leader Emerges in ‘Nation’s Largest Real Estate Firms’ Report
March 27, 2019
HomeServices of America was named as this year’s largest residential brokerage company in the country, taking the reins from the former transaction side champ, NRT, according to the 2019 REAL Trends 500 report, released Wednesday. HomeServices of America closed 346,629 transactions in 2018, topping NRT’s 337,235 sides to top this year’s list.
Overall, 2018 proved to be a good year in real estate. The nation’s 500 largest residential real estate brokerage firms closed more than 3.2 million residential sales transactions last year. Furthermore, in 2018, there were 297 firms recording more than $1 billion in residential sales.
“For several years, the REAL Trends 500 has gained market share,” says Steve Murray, president of REAL Trends. “In 2019, the REAL Trends 500 did it again—up 2.7 percent in 2018 against a national existing home sales factor which was down 3 to 4 percent. What is most interesting is the growth of relative newcomers to the 500 [list], such as eXp, Compass, and HomeSmart, which have shown remarkable growth in the past few years.”
There were representatives from every major brand and several independent firms on this year’s Top 500 list.
To earn a spot on this year’s list, firms needed at least 1,992 transactions, up from a minimum of 1,899 transactions a year ago.
“Leading firms are finding a way to grow despite challenges from low inventory, affordability issues, and intensifying competition,” says Scott Wright, vice president of REAL Trends and editor of the report.
The top 25 firms by transaction sides, according to the 2019 REAL Trends 500 report, are:
- HomeServices of America, Minneapolis
- NRT LLC, Madison, N.J.
- Hanna Holdings, Pittsburgh
- eXp Realty, Bellingham, Wash.
- HomeSmart, Scottsdale, Ariz.
- Compass, New York
- Keller Williams Realty, GO Management Offices, Arlington, Texas
- Crye-Leike Real Estate Services, Memphis, Tenn.
- RE/MAX Results, Eden Prairie, Minn.
- Real Estate One, Southfield, Mich.
- Douglas Elliman Real Estate, New York
- Keller Williams Realty Pinnacle Partners Group, Duluth, Ga.
- William Raveis Real Estate, Mortgage, and Insurance, Shelton, Conn.
- Allen Tate Companies, Charlotte, N.C.
- Coldwell Banker The Real Estate Group, Shorewood, Ill.
- CENTURY 21 Affiliated, Madison, Wis.
- West USA Realty, Inc., Phoenix
- @properties, Chicago
- Baird & Warner, Chicago
- RE/MAX Alliance / Equity Group, Arvada, Colo.
- Coldwell Banker Seacoast / Advantage, Raleigh, N.C.
- Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices The Preferred Realty, Wexford, Pa.
- Keller Williams Realty The Haggard Group, Franklin, Tenn.
- Latter & Blum Companies ERA Powered, New Orleans
- Coldwell Banker Schmidt Family of Companies, Traverse City, Mich.
Updated: January 17, 2020