Better Protect Properties in These Mosquito Hotbed Cities
May 21, 2019
For the sixth year in a row, Atlanta was once again named as the top spot for mosquitos, followed by New York, Washington, D.C., Chicago, and Houston, according to the annual list released by Orkin, a national pest control company.
“Mosquitoes are more than annoying; they can be a major health threat,” says Mark Beavers, Orkin entomologist, referencing several mosquito-borne diseases, including the West Nile and Zika viruses.
Mosquito season begins when spring temperatures arrive. They are most active when temperatures rise above 80 degrees. Breeding season for mosquitoes is usually July through September.
To remove the threat, experts recommend taking steps to reduce populations of mosquitos on a property. After all, in as little as four days, a single mosquito can multiple into as many as 400, according to Orkin.
“Male adult mosquitoes feed on plant nectar, while females need a blood meal to support reproduction,” Beavers says. “Reducing items that attract mosquitoes, actively working to prevent them from breeding in their required water habitats, wearing insect repellent or moving inside the home during peak biting times are ways to protect oneself from mosquito bites.”
Orkin recommends the following tips to help protect properties against mosquitoes:
- Remove any object that has the potential to hold water, or clean it out frequently. Mosquitoes can breed in just an inch of standing water.
- Clean gutters to avoid rainwater build up. Check for puddles that form on the roof from rain water, leaking pipes, or even condensation from air conditioners.
- Change the water (at minimum) weekly in bird baths, fountains, potted plants, and any containers that hold standing water, including wading pools.
- Keep swimming pool water treated and circulating.
- Trim shrubbery, as adult mosquitoes like to rest in dark, protected areas with high humidity, such as under the leaves of lush vegetation.
- Eliminate entry points inside the room. Inspect doors and windows for drafts or openings around their perimeters and window air conditioning units. Install weather stripping around doors and use caulk around window frames.
- Ensure that window and door screens are securely in place and free of holes or tears.
- Keep doors tightly closed. “A propped-open door is a welcome mat for mosquitoes to enter your home,” according to Orkin.
Where Mosquitoes Swarm
The following are the top mosquito cities (ranked on the number of both residential and commercial customers served for mosquito treatments from April 1, 2018, to March 31, 2019):
- New York (up one spot from last year)
- Washington, D.C. (+1 spot from last year)
- Chicago (+1 spot)
- Houston (+2 spots)
- Dallas-Fort Worth, Texas (-4 spots)
- Detroit (+4 spots)
- Philadelphia (+9 spots)
- Charlotte, N.C. (+1 spot)
- Raleigh-Durham, N.C. (+5 spots)
- Phoenix (+14 spots)
- Los Angeles (+4 spots)
- Boston (+20 spots)
- Baltimore (+27 spots)
- Richmond, Va. (+14 spots)
Updated: June 17, 2019