Decision on Status of NAR’s May Meeting Expected by April 1
March 13, 2020
As the coronavirus outbreak roars on, NAR’s Leadership Team announced Thursday that a final decision would be reached by April 1 regarding the possible postponement or use of virtual options for the 2020 REALTORS® Legislative Meetings & Trade Expo. The meetings are scheduled to take place May 11–16 in Washington, D.C.
“The safety and well-being of our members, staff, and partner organizations remain our top priority, and the Leadership Team recognizes the virus’s impact on large gatherings and events,” an announcement from NAR reads.
The Leadership Team said it will wait until April 1 to make a decision in order to determine the status of the outbreak at that time. Currently, Congress has closed the U.S. Capitol to the public through March 31. The mayor of the District of Columbia has declared a state of emergency and has recommended nonessential mass gatherings—such as conferences and conventions—be postponed or provided with other options. That direction from the D.C. mayor is also in effect though March 31.
A decision by April 1 will allow time for a contingency plan to be developed, NAR’s Leadership Team noted. That contingency plan could be to postpone the meeting or use virtual options to hold the conference.
“NAR will continue to closely monitor events and make further announcements as circumstances dictate,” the announcement read. Check nar.realtor for regular updates as further updates become available.
Read more coverage of the coronavirus’s effect on real estate:
- Sellers Adopt Showing Procedures to Minimize Coronavirus Spread
- Coronavirus: A Guide for REALTORS®
- Heading to a Real Estate Event? Follow These Tips to Stay Healthy
- Housing Market Is Feeling Effects of Coronavirus Outbreak
- What Fed’s Emergency Rate Cut May Do for Mortgage Rates
- Retail Takes Hit from Nervous Shoppers
- Brokerage Touts Virtual Tours Amid Coronavirus Concerns
- Workplace Policies Aim to Prevent Coronavirus Spread
- Bay Area Lawmakers Want to Ban Coronavirus-Related Evictions
- Mortgage Forbearance Options Available to Owners Affected by Coronavirus
Updated: November 30, 2021