MLS Policy Change Caps Historic May Meetings
May 18, 2020
The National Association of REALTORS®’ Board of Directors capped the historic, first-ever virtual 2020 REALTORS® Legislative Meetings with three crucial votes Friday:
- Members won’t see an NAR dues increase in 2021.
- Brokers will be able to get MLS data feeds of their own listing content.
- The association’s 2021 officers were chosen via remote election for the first time.
“As we find during any time of crisis, this pandemic offers our members and our association a tremendous opportunity to evolve and adapt to the markets of the future,” said NAR CEO Bob Goldberg, quoting musician Frank Zappa. “Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.”
NAR announced March 18 that, as a result of the COVID-19 health crisis, its annual Washington, D.C., conference would be delivered virtually. The May meetings typically attract 9,000 to 10,000 members and include Capitol Hill visits by state REALTOR® delegations. The virtual platform drew more than 28,000 registrants—roughly triple the average annual participation—who had the chance to attend streaming forums, committee meetings, and conference sessions, which were held from April 27 to May 14. The number of registrants even surpassed the average for NAR’s largest event, the annual REALTORS® Conference & Expo.
While Goldberg said he hopes this year’s November convention will proceed as planned in New Orleans, future NAR events will forever be changed in that they will include both virtual and in-person components. “Decades of investments in technology and a commitment to reinventing ourselves allowed NAR to execute a conference none of us imagined being necessary just a few months ago,” he said.
New Rule on Broker Content
The board overwhelmingly approved a new multiple listing policy requiring MLSs to provide participants or their designees with access to the content they’ve entered into the MLS. Most MLSs already offer such data feeds. Proponents say the new rule promises greater efficiency by ensuring brokerages don’t have to manually enter the same data multiple times into various systems and fosters innovation.
NAR Treasurer John Flor presented the 2021 budget and Finance Committee Report, which the board approved. Member dues will stay at the current rate of $150 per year, and NAR is forecasting 1.3 million members—about a 5% decline from current membership—though Flor called that a conservative estimate. Flor also briefed directors on the work on NAR’s Chicago headquarters. Construction was shut down for a few weeks, but the crew is back up and operating with appropriate protocols and social distancing measures, Flor said.
An Historic Election
The board elected Leslie Rouda Smith of Plano, Texas, as NAR’s president-elect and Kenny Parcell of Spanish Fork, Utah, as first vice president for 2021. In a contested election, Nancy Lane of Brandon, Miss., was elected 2021-22 NAR treasurer. Here’s the full list of 2021 leadership and the 2021 regional vice presidents.
- President Charlie Oppler, AHWD, C2EX, Franklin Lakes, N.J.
- President-elect Leslie Rouda Smith, ABR, AHWD, CIPS, CRB, CRS, e-PRO, PMN, C2EX, Dallas
- First Vice President Kenny Parcell, ABR, CRS, C2EX, Spanish Fork, Utah
- Immediate Past President Vince Malta, CIPS, C2EX, San Francisco
- Treasurer Nancy M. Lane, AHWD, CCIM, RENE, C2EX, Brandon, Miss.
- CEO Bob Goldberg, e-PRO
Appointed Vice Presidents
- Vice President of Advocacy Leigh Brown, ABR, AHWD, CIPS, e-PRO, CRS, SFR, SRES, C2EX, Concord, N.C.
- Vice President of Association Affairs Tommy Choi, Chicago
Regional Vice Presidents
- Region 1: Donna Cusson, PSA, RSPS, Warren, Vt.
- Region 2: Margaret Hartman, ABR, AHWD, CIPS, CRB, CRS, GRI, Buffalo, N.Y.
- Region 3: Bonnie Roberts-Burke, CRS, C2EX, Washington, D.C.
- Region 4: Carl Tackett, AHWD, CRS, GRI, MRP, Georgetown, Ky.
- Region 5: Andrew Barbar, ABR, CIPS, C2EX, Boca Raton, Fla.
- Region 6: Eugene Szpeinski, e-PRO, GRI, Grandville, Mich.
- Region 7: Michael Oldenettel, CRS, GRI, Springfield, Ill.
- Region 8: Len Sarvela, AHWD, CRS, GRI, Duluth, Minn.
- Region 9: Doyle Yates, CRB, CRS, GRI, SFR, C2EX, Springdale, Ark.
- Region 10: Vicki Fullerton, ABR, CRS, e-PRO, C2EX, The Woodlands, Texas
- Region 11: Scott Matthias, AWHD, CRS, e-PRO, GRI, C2EX, Highlands Ranch, Colo.
- Region 12: Tiffanie Mai-Ganske, CRS, GRI, C2EX, Pocatello, Idaho
- Region 13: Chris Kutzkey, GRI, Yreka, Calif.