Behr Announces 2021 Color Forecast
August 25, 2020
Behr Paint Co. unveiled 21 versatile colors on Monday to make up its Color Trends 2021 Palette. The colors include neutrals mixed with some lavish bolds to create “energizing, yet comforting” focal points in a home, Behr says.
“This has been a year of unpredictability and 2020 has significantly changed our relationship with home,” says Erika Woelfel, vice president of color at Behr. “When our color team began exploring a palette for the coming year, we knew it needed to be grounded in what we’ve been craving: comfort and personalization. A new, ‘elevated’ articulation of ‘comfort’ goes beyond traditional beige, gray, and green hues and embraces color in a way that can redefine and enhance any type of space inside or outside the home.”
Behr says color will play an increasing role in setting a mood for a space, creating a positive atmosphere, and providing a sense of well-being that ensures living and workspaces feel “pleasant, light, and productive.”
The 2021 Behr color palette is organized into six color themes: casual comfort, subtle focus, optimistic view, quiet haven, calm zone, and outdoor escape.
Here’s a breakdown of each theme, according to Behr:
• Casual comfort: Light and cozy neutrals that strive to offer an updated take on the casual farmhouse look (warm-toned hues like Almond Wisp and Sierra).
• Optimistic view: An eclectic mix of bright hues that allude to a Mediterranean or '70s “glam” vibe (Saffron Strands or Kalahari Sunset).
• Subtle focus: Soft pastels that are inspired by modern versions of art deco design (Seaside Villa and Wishful Green).
• Calm zone: Nurturing blues and greens continue to trend in creating calm, restorative spaces (Jojoba and Voyage).
• Quiet haven: Darker, evocative colors are presented as fit for traditional and maximalist decor (Royal Orchard and Broadway).
• Outdoor escape: Behr says that any of its 2021 color picks also can be used for exterior spaces and in expanding a home’s livable space outside too (Barnwood Gray or Cellini Gold),
Behr has teamed with color influencers for a social media campaign called “21 Days, 21 Colors, 21 Projects” that will share DIY projects featuring a color from the palette under the hashtag “#21DaysOfColor.”
Updated: May 24, 2022