11 Ways to Ensure a Healthier Office
These tips will help ensure that real estate professionals remain healthy and safe when they're in the office.
September - October
- Conduct maintenance and updates to HVAC systems; install high-efficiency air filters and thoroughly and regularly clean ventilation systems.
- Install ultraviolet lighting in bathrooms. UV-C lights have been found to destroy viruses on surfaces.
- Remove porous materials, such as carpeting.
- Add signs and visual reminders to promote social distancing and single-direction foot traffic.
- Eliminate communal food and drink offerings such as coffee machines and water coolers; replace with single snacks, meals, or beverages.
- Ramp up cleaning with janitorial and maintenance providers. Create a morning and evening routine of disinfecting all work surfaces, and don’t forget high-touch items such as keyboards and mice, pens, drawer handles, and phones.
- Place sanitizing dispensers throughout the office and reception areas.
- Stagger work hours or days to reduce the density of people; allow telework.
- Replace elevator doors and buttons with a touchless experience.
- Reconfigure desks, tables, and chairs so they are a minimum of 6 feet apart.
- Install a countertop shield barrier at reception desks.
Sources: Robert T. Tillsley, SIOR, president, McBride Corporate Real Estate (mcbridecorpre.com), Franklin Lakes, N.J.; Dr. Jonathan Spero, CEO, InHouse Physicians (www.inhousephysicians.com); nar.realtor; National Academy of Sciences