Sara Geimer is the manager of REALTOR® Magazine's Good Neighbor Awards and a former senior editor with the magazine.
2012 Good Neighbor Awards
Meet five REALTORS® whose volunteer work enriches the lives of others.
November 1, 2012
Making Good on Life’s Promise
The economic recovery notwithstanding, unemployment, homelessness, and poverty remain a reality for far too many people. Yet, there are those who refuse to be complacent. They are the 2012 winners of REALTOR® Magazine’s Good Neighbor Award—and they are going full throttle to make life better for those who don’t have the capacity or the resources to make it on their own.
About the Program
For 13 years, REALTOR® Magazine’s Good Neighbor Awards have recognized REALTORS® for their extraordinary community service work. The 2012 award winners will be honored Nov. 10 during the REALTORS® Conference & Expo in Orlando, and their charitable organizations will receive a $10,000 grant and a $2,000 Lowe’s gift card.
In addition to the winners, five Good Neighbor Honorable Mentions will each receive $2,500 for their community cause, plus a $1,000 Lowe’s gift card.
Nominations for the 2013 Good Neighbor Awards are being accepted through May 20, 2013.
The Good Neighbor Awards recognize REALTORS® who’ve made an extraordinary impact on others through volunteer service. In many ways, the honorees are just like the rest of us—juggling family, home, and career demands. But they’re driven by a calling to help make life better for those struggling around them. Rather than fret about the economic and social problems in their midst, they look for solutions, making a difference where they can. Together, the 2012 honorees volunteered nearly 10,000 hours last year, an average of 20 hours a week each. By combining vision, hard work, and patience, they are helping others reach their potential in life.
We proudly introduce you to the 2012 Good Neighbors:
- Rocky Balsamo teaches a new generation of volunteers.
- Trudy Harsh creates safe havens for those dealing with mental illness.
- Ginger Dowdle offers shelter,love, and skills to foster children.
- Michael Campbell helps young single moms get on their feet.
- Sally Rudloff gives kids a place to grow and dream.
Big Thanks to Our Sponsors
Are You a Good Neighbor?
Or do you know someone who should be nominated? Learn more or nominate someone for the 2013 awards (deadline: May 20, 2013).
The Good Neighbor Awards wouldn’t be possible without its generous sponsors. For more than 60 years, Lowe’s, a REALTOR Benefits® Partner, has been working with customers to maintain and improve their homes. HouseLogic is a free source of information and tools from NAR that can help consumers make smart and timely decisions about their home. Phil McGinnis, CCIM, McGinnis Commercial Real Estate, Dover, Del., also contributed.
Thank You, Judges
- Joseph L. Canfora, CIPS, GRI, NAR Housing Opportunity Forum Chair
- Mary V. Dykstra, ABR, CRS, NAR Communications Committee Chair
- Martin Edwards, CCIM, CIPS, NAR Past President
- Michelle Killi, Lowe’s Senior Marketing Specialist
- JoAnne E. Poole, CRS, NAR Housing Opportunity Committee Chair
- Frank Sibley, NAR Senior Vice President, Consumer Relations
- Gary Thomas, NAR President-Elect