Sara Geimer is the manager of REALTOR® Magazine's Good Neighbor Awards and a former senior editor with the magazine.
COMMERCIAL SOURCE™: NAR’s C&I Web Site a Valuable Tool
Six channels provide great information for your commercial needs
January 1, 1999
CommercialSource™ at REALTOR.COM a specialty Web site for commercial real estate practitioners, is the latest addition to NAR’s growing Internet presence for buyers, sellers, investors, and real estate professionals.
A Web portal, CommercialSource™ serves as a single point of entry to commercial real estate industry sites from around the world. The site includes original content, such as daily news about commercial and investment real estate, market trends features, and legislative summaries, as well as links to commercial property listing databases and industry resources.
“The key is that it’s the one source that gives comprehensive, valuable information that will help commercial practitioners match buyers and sellers,” says Dennis Cronk, CCIM, NAR president-elect and a driving force behind RealSelect Inc., the operator of REALTOR.COM and CommercialSource™.
In addition to more than 500 links, CommercialSource™ offers valuable tools such as “Haves and Wants” property listings, which are searchable by keyword. “Those who are actively listing and selling on a national basis will love the ‘Haves and Wants,’ and they’ll also be able to use them for market research and to develop comp info,” says Fred Prassas, CPM®, chair of the Commercial and Investment Committee.
The site is organized into six channels:
- Property Listings—Links to more than 150,000 U.S. and international property listings organized by region.
- Financing—Provides access to top commercial property financing sources such as general lending institutions, direct lenders, conduits, and broker listings.
- News—Includes daily commercial real estate news updates, links to other industry news sites, and articles written by industry experts.
- Products & Services—Links to the top product and service information sites—from comps and environmental reports to demographic reports and software developers.
- Industry Resources—Links to NAR nonresidential affiliates, other industry organizations and publications, and a comprehensive industry calendar of local, state, and national meetings and conferences.
NAR Resources—Provides updates on commercial legislation and information for practitioners interested in working in international markets, and links to state and local associations and educational opportunities. CommercialSource™ also lets you be a part of the action with these interactive tools:
- Haves and Wants—Lets you browse, search by keyword or phrase, and post or respond to listings.
- Commercial Discussion Group—A chat room that allows you to network with colleagues online.
The site is unique in its sponsorship by NAR and its use of RealSelect's wide distribution channels. “CommercialSource™ benefits from being linked to the No. 1 real estate site in the world, REALTOR.COM, and the millions of consumers who access it,” says Cronk. In its first week, Commercial Sources™ had 4,000 hits.
CommercialSource™, accessible through www.REALTOR.COM or directly at www.commercialsource.com, is a foundation that will be expanded as commercial practitioners learn to embrace the Internet, says James Marrelli, vice president of commercial services at RealSelect.
“This is a first-generation site,” says Marrelli. “It provides a place for the NAR family to come to. But we expect it to evolve, to continue to provide a robust set of informational tools for commercial practitioners.”
Notice: The information on this page may not be current. The archive is a collection of content previously published on one or more NAR web properties. Archive pages are not updated and may no longer be accurate. Users must independently verify the accuracy and currency of the information found here. The National Association of REALTORS® disclaims all liability for any loss or injury resulting from the use of the information or data found on this page.
Updated: December 01, 2021