Vicki L. Cox Golder was 2010 president of the National Association of REALTORS®.
Up, Up, and Away
'On the Rise' in 2010
January 1, 2010
Welcome to the second decade of the 21st century!
I’m honored to be serving as your 2010 NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF REALTORS® president. The first 10 years of this millennium brought us opportunities and challenges we couldn’t have predicted. Undoubtedly, there will be surprises in the next 10 years as well. That’s why it’s so important to have an organization like NAR that’s dedicated to bringing you the market knowledge and support you need to succeed.
My theme for this year, "On the Rise," reflects my conviction that both the overall economy and real estate markets will improve in 2010. But the theme also speaks to my commitment to help you be the best you can be. That means we’ll:
- Continue with our Right Tools, Right Now program, which in 2009 provided members and REALTOR® association executives with hundreds of resources and education programs—free or at cost. (See REALTOR.org/righttools.)
- Devote Public Awareness Campaign dollars to educating the public about the extended and expanded home buyer tax credit.
- Continue to be "The Voice for Real Estate" on critical legislative and regulatory priorities, such as addressing appraisal issues, stressing the needs of the self-employed in the health-care debate, and advocating for government policies that lessen the impact of the economic downturn on commercial practitioners.
- Flex our muscles in the advocacy arena with the expansion of our Broker Involvement Program, which enables you to learn about NAR Calls for Action directly from your broker, and through a groundbreaking new Web site, HouseLogic, that invites home owners to engage on issues of shared interest with REALTORS®.
- Roll out a powerful, new tool in the second quarter of this year that will give you in-depth data on residential and commercial properties throughout the United States—not just properties for sale. The free REALTORS® Property Resource will be only for NAR members.
NAR is fortunate to have thousands of committed volunteers to help guide us. But we welcome broader participation. Your 2010 Leadership Team, listed below, is a team that listens. You can talk to us through any number of channels. For example, you can comment on our REALTOR.org blog, Voices of Real Estate; send an e-mail to the magazine at firstname.lastname@example.org; or even friend me on Facebook.
I was lucky to have mentors early in my career who taught me that long-term success depended on my ability to read and adjust to the market. My mission this year will be to make sure that NAR, working together with our state and local associations, gives you the data and tools you need to keep your career "On the Rise."
Updated: July 01, 2022