Steve Brown is 2014 president of the National Association of REALTORS®. Read his official NAR bio.
Our Value Proposition to You
NAR President Steve Brown helps you assess the value NAR adds to your business.
January 21, 2014
In late November, in one of my first official acts as your president, I asked for donations to the REALTORS® Relief Foundation to help tornado victims in Illinois and flooding victims in Colorado. About two weeks before that, my predecessor, Gary Thomas, issued a Call for Action asking you to e-mail your members of Congress to address the effects of rapidly rising flood insurance premiums.
Without a doubt, your national association asks a lot of you: donations to the REALTORS® Political Action Committee, a commitment to the REALTORS®’ Code of Ethics, membership dues.
It’s right for you to ask about the value you receive in return from NAR. Here’s my short list:
Read a fuller list of benefits at realtor.org's articles, “50 Ways NAR Is Indispensable to Your Business.”
- Unmatched advocacy in Washington. When it comes to protecting home ownership, private property rights, and real estate markets, there is no voice like ours at the federal level.
- Widely watched economic data. NAR’s home sales data are among the most closely watched indicators in the world, followed by central banks and economists.
- Issue support at the state and local levels. When the Louisiana Association of REALTORS® won a constitutional ban on transfer taxes in 2011, its partner in the years-long effort was your national association, which helped make the difference with its resources and technical assistance.
- Game-changing technology investments. In 2002, one company had a monopoly on lockboxes. In 2003,NAR introduced competition with SentriLock, the REALTOR® owned company that has since set a new standard for what lockboxes can do. In 2008, NAR created REALTORS Property Resource®, which puts the available data on all properties in the country in your hands for free. Now we’re seeing the growth of a whole new generation of technology companies under the guiding hand of your association’s strategic investment arm, Second Century Ventures.
- Invaluable brand identity. How do you put a price on the REALTOR® brand? Independent surveys show it’s the distinguishing feature in consumers’ minds about which real estate professionals provide trusted, competent services for the most important transaction in their lives. Each year your brand identity is strengthened by NAR’s popular national consumer advertising campaign.
This is just an excerpt. But it provides a starting point for you to assess the value NAR adds to your business. I hope I can count on you when your industry needs your involvement. For my part, I pledge to try to increase the benefits you get from your association in return.
Updated: January 18, 2019