Who's Surfing the Web?

September 1, 1998

If you're wondering who your cyber clients and customers might be, read on.

  • Women represent 42 percent of the online population, leaving men with a 58 percent share, according to the March 1997 CommerceNet/Nielsen survey of Internet demographics.
  • The average user is 35 years old, up from 32 years old two years ago, according to the Georgia Institute of Technology's Graphic, Visualization, and Usability Center's 1997 World Wide Web User Survey.
  • Sixty-five percent of Internet users have household incomes of $50,000 or more, according to a 1996 survey by the Media Futures Program of SRI International, Menlo Park, Calif. The U.S. Census Bureau says only 35 percent of the U.S. population as a whole has that level of income. The average household income of Web surfers is $60,800, compared with $44,900 for the general population.
  • More than 75 percent of Internet users have attended college, according to the Media Futures Program, as opposed to 46 percent of the total U.S. population, according to the Census Bureau.
Notice: The information on this page may not be current. The archive is a collection of content previously published on one or more NAR web properties. Archive pages are not updated and may no longer be accurate. Users must independently verify the accuracy and currency of the information found here. The National Association of REALTORS® disclaims all liability for any loss or injury resulting from the use of the information or data found on this page.

Related