Chris Leporini is a former REALTOR® Magazine assistant editor.
Web Reviews: Everything You Need to Know 'About' Architecture
A portal site is your educational resource for residential architectural styles and your pressing architectural questions.
October 1, 2003
What the Site Offers: About Architecture provides a variety of resources to help build your residential architecture IQ. You can familiarize yourself with housing styles and decorative features using its illustrated descriptions. Other features provide resources you can pass onto your clients about renovating historical homes, home repairs, and maintenance tasks.
About is a leading portal that provides comprehensive information on a variety of topics—all organized and presented by a professional guide who is an expert on the topic. The About network comprises hundreds of sites that are organized into 23 channels, covering more than 50,000 subjects. The About guides provide original content on their topics, as well as relevant links, how-to information, forums, and answers to reader questions.
About Architecture’s guide is Jackie Craven, a writer who specializes in architecture and interior design; she’s the author of The Healthy Home: Beautiful Interiors That Enhance the Environment & Your Well Being and The Stress-Free Home: Beautiful Interiors for Serenity and Harmonious Living.
Valuable Site Features for Real Estate Professionals
- House Styles. Explore nearly three dozen of the most popular residential architectural styles in North America, including Georgian, Greek Revival, Colonial, and Cape Cod. The index provides a wealth of information on each architectural style, describing its defining characteristics and history. (These explanations include links to the Architecture Glossary, an illustrated dictionary of architectural terms.) Entries include a photo or illustration of the styles, and many include sample floor plans as well. Additionally, the site offers links where you can find books and online resources to conduct further research.
- Architecture Photo Archives. Find sites, many from colleges and universities, featuring thousands of images of houses, commercial buildings, and monuments.
- Top 7 House Style Guides. Read reviews of illustrated books that you can use to identify residential housing styles in the field, and then purchase these titles online.
- Ornaments and Trim. Learn about the decorative details, such as columns, friezes, and even gargoyles that adorn homes and buildings. Entries include illustrations from the Architecture Glossary and, in some cases, links to more information.
- Do You Live in a Mystery House? Are you or your clients stumped by questions about a house’s age or architectural style? If you have any architecture-related questions, use this page to access the Mystery House Page in the Architecture Forum. The message board allows you to post questions, and even photographs, online to seek assistance from other users. A free registration is required to post on the forum.
Notice: The information on this page may not be current. The archive is a collection of content previously published on one or more NAR web properties. Archive pages are not updated and may no longer be accurate. Users must independently verify the accuracy and currency of the information found here. The National Association of REALTORS® disclaims all liability for any loss or injury resulting from the use of the information or data found on this page.