Podcasting Success Tips From a Podcasting Pro
Barb Betts hosts the popular “Real Estate by Relationship” podcast.
Podcaster: Barb Betts, broker and CEO of The RECollective, Long Beach, Calif.
Podcast: Real Estate by Relationship
What it’s about: How to build a real estate business based on relationships
Date started: September 2020
Why did you start a podcast?
From the beginning of my real estate journey to becoming a broker and opening my own boutique brokerage, I always knew I wanted to do real estate differently. I was taught all of the basics of cold calls and farming, but it never felt authentic to me. It took a couple of years of trial and error, but once I found my niche of building real relationships with real people, I knew I had found the secret to making real estate work for me. I use my podcast to share my journey in the hope of inspiring others and to give advice that, quite frankly, I wish someone had told me 20 years ago.
What’s the benefit of having a podcast?
The most rewarding benefit is having newly licensed agents and even peers tell me that my story has helped them take charge of their own career. The icing on the cake, of course, is deepening relationships with an amazing network of colleagues across the U.S., which ultimately leads to incoming referrals.
What’s one tip for success?
Just do it! The best way to learn is by doing. Look to others who are making big waves and emulate their approaches. Never be afraid to ask for help. This community is always willing to share their experiences and tips. Before you launch, make sure you have a bank of podcasts recorded and a list of topics you can talk about. I will be honest—it can be hard to keep it going if you don’t have some content in the bank ready to go.
Betts’ favorite podcasting tools:
- Canva (canva.com)—online design and publishing platform used for creating digital marketing designs, like podcast covers
- Planoly (planoly.com)—app and web-based dashboard to schedule and manage social media content to promote the podcast
- Buzzsprout (buzzsprout.com)— podcast hosting service that automatically posts on the main platforms, including Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts, and iHeartRadio
- Samson Technologies’ Q2U dynamic microphone (samsontech.com)—a digital and analog microphone that includes XLR and USB outputs for home studio or mobile recordings
- Zoom (zoom.us)—video platform for recording podcast episodes and exporting audio to Buzzsprout