Michael Russer, a.k.a. Mr. Internet®, is CEO of Russer Communications. He is a leading speaker and author in the real estate industry and has been writing about Internet marketing and virtual outsourcing since the dawn of the commercial Internet.
Make an Offer They Can’t Refuse
Get prospects to interact with your Web site by crafting appealing incentives that will set you apart from the competition.
August 1, 2007
Imagine having something to offer on your Web site that prospects will perceive as being so valuable that they’ll practically slap their forehead and say “I gotta be stupid to say no to this!” Not only that, they’ll be so anxious to receive this thing of value that they’ll happily share information about who they are and what they want from you.
Sound impossible? It’s not. All it takes is a little creativity and niche marketing. Here’s how to create irresistible offers that will open the door to communication between you and those elusive online prospects.
What It Takes to Be Irresistible
Many real estate practitioners offer their Web visitors some type of fairly generic “special report” on the local real estate market. But that doesn’t cut it anymore, as these reports have become way too common. Many real estate template Web site vendors even build these now-ubiquitous reports into their sites.
To get consumers’ attention nowadays you need to step it up with an “irresistible offer” — the term I use for a special package, piece of information, document, or item that will be viewed as extremely valuable by your customers. Here are the qualities of irresistible offers:
- Targeted to your specific niche market.
- Considered extremely valuable by members of that market.
- Is unique — only you are offering it, or better yet, you are the only one who can offer it.
- Uses an attention-grabbing headline or has a catchy name.
- Uses a request form that invites the visitor to share personal information, and assures them that their information will be kept private.
They’ll Return the Favor
The idea of irresistible offers is based on the law of reciprocity, which states that anytime you give something to someone, that person will be inclined to return the favor. In this case, consumers will give you their contact information in return for your special little gift.
To grab the consumers’ valuable contact information, you’ll need to connect your irresistible offer to an online form that the visitors must complete in order to receive the thing of value.
That said, don’t force Web visitors to fill out anything more than they need to receive the item, otherwise you’ll risk eroding their trust.
Geared to Your Niche
Niche marketing is a key component of any irresistible offer. Remember, creativity counts. Let’s say your target market is first-time home buyers. Here are some examples of what you might offer:
- Neighborhood discount coupon book. A “Welcome to the Neighborhood!” coupon book (branded by you) that offers discounts from various neighborhood retailers and services specifically for first-time buyers. If such a coupon book doesn’t already exist, you can work with local retailers to create one. That would make this book exclusive to you.
- First-time buyer teleseminar. Offer monthly teleseminars featuring guest speakers, including your area’s most prominent tax attorney or CPA on the benefits of homeownership, the area’s most experienced loan officer on first-time buyer financing, or the area’s best remodel contractor on what to look for in existing home construction.
- First-time buyer evaluation. A special first-time buyer evaluation is a pressure-free way to help prospective buyers prepare for their first purchase.
Now, let’s say your market is buyers of golf-course properties. Here are some ideas for them:
- Meet the Pros. Assuming you handle properties at more than just one country club, you can record a special interview with the golf pros from each club and have them expound on what is special about their particular course, which holes are the most challenging, and tips for those holes. The “package” could consist of a CD of all the interviews plus brochures for each country club.
- Golf VIP Club. Have prospects complete a special form on your Web site (which will give you all of their information to their particular wants and needs). This is the way they become a member of your Golf VIP Club, which entitles them to a free round of golf with you at the course of your choice and a coupon book for each of the participating pro shops. If you work this right, you could probably “zero cost” this whole package through a co-op with the clubs.
Make Yourself Irresistible
Not many real estate Web sites have truly irresistible offers, which means you have plenty of room to differentiate yourself from competitors in this way.
The type of irresistible offers you create are limited only by your imagination, so now’s the time to start brainstorming about what you have to offer. When they’re done right, these kinds of offers will give you a unique way to begin a conversation with online prospects.