What Sort of Manager Are You?
While great leaders share many of the same qualities, they also display diverse personality types.
- Seizes total control of all situations and doesn’t encourage team interaction.
- Pluses: Allows for quick decision-making. Ensures that the company follows the direction that you want.
- Minuses: Discourages creativity in others and may damage morale. Limits the inflow of new ideas.
The Humanistic Autocrat
- Assumes a paternalistic, care-taking role but retains tight control of decisions.
- Pluses: Provides a good comfort level for many workers accustomed to this style from parents and teachers. Allows quick decisions and clear accountability. Often provides a warm, compassionate atmosphere.
- Minuses: Limits workers’ growth and creativity, although it provides more recognition than the dictatorial style. May reduce decision’s effectiveness due lack of expertise of all parties.
- Encourages participation and fosters a more democratic environment.
- Pluses: Provides access to a wide variety of ideas in the company. Gives workers a sense of ownership and empowerment.
- Minuses: A desire for consensus often slows the decision-making process. Runs the risk of bogging down in seemingly endless meetings. May make manager appear weak or indecisive.
- Manages by doing, or seeming to do, nothing. Lets workers set their own direction.
- Pluses: Generally liked by workers. Gives skilled workers the opportunity to be creative and try new ideas.
- Minuses: Could easily lead to chaos. May create a sense of indifference among workers. Undermines manager’s authority.
Notice: The information on this page may not be current. The archive is a collection of content previously published on one or more NAR web properties. Archive pages are not updated and may no longer be accurate. Users must independently verify the accuracy and currency of the information found here. The National Association of REALTORS® disclaims all liability for any loss or injury resulting from the use of the information or data found on this page.