What to Know About Withholding Taxes

If support staff and personal assistants work as employees, you are responsible for withholding federal and state income taxes, withholding the employee's share of the FICA (Social Security and Medicare payments), and paying your portion of FICA.

  • Ask each employee to fill out a W-4 form so that you can calculate withholding using Circular E, Employer's Tax Guide from the IRS.
  • Deposit withholding and FICA contributions into a designated bank account on a regular schedule.
  • Make regular payments to the appropriate federal and state agencies.
  • Pay federal unemployment taxes; employees make no contribution.
Notice: The information on this page may not be current. The archive is a collection of content previously published on one or more NAR web properties. Archive pages are not updated and may no longer be accurate. Users must independently verify the accuracy and currency of the information found here. The National Association of REALTORS® disclaims all liability for any loss or injury resulting from the use of the information or data found on this page.