Handout 1: 14 Tips for Better Time Management
Read the time management tips on handout 2. If you would like, click on the document (right) to download a printable version. Make copies and hand them out to your attendees.
14 Ways to Manage Your Time More Efficiently
- Spend the first 15 minutes of every day, or the last 15 minutes at night, making a to-do list.
- Decide what times of day you are the most productive, and schedule your most difficult jobs then.
- Use waiting-time effectively by planning small tasks you can do in short segments of time.
- Build flexibility into your schedule so you can adapt when things don’t go according to schedule or new opportunities arise.
- When you return a phone call, minimize phone tag by including a time you can be reached.
- Spend the most time on the job that produces the most income.
- Don’t let non-productive tasks consume your time.
- Take a break to refresh yourself; you’ll be more productive.
- Split longer tasks into smaller increments to allow you to fit them into available time.
- Divide a difficult job into several parts so you don’t burn out before it’s done.
- Set completion dates for tasks to avoid procrastination.
- Create a system to prioritize tasks, but plan on re-evaluating priorities daily.
- Reward yourself with 15 minutes of fun after completing a difficult job.
- Delegate routine chores, but be sure you train your helpers well.Value your time, and ask others to do the same.