Working Healthy From Home
Lessons about how to work safely and productively from home.
September - October
When the COVID-19 pandemic initially shut down most offices, real estate pros adjusted quickly to working remotely. Some share lessons here about how to work safely and productively from home.
- Declutter and organize your home so you’re not distracted by any mess when trying to focus on work.
- Don’t eat where you work. This not only keeps your workspace clean but also sets a boundary between the places where you work and relax.
- If you’re used to being mobile, set up shop in a different room each day. This can help break up the monotony of working from home and give you a sense of “being on the go.”
- Consider investing in an ergonomic office chair and double monitors.
- Don’t share your workspace with others in your household. Each person should have a dedicated workspace—ideally, in different rooms.
- Increase access to cloud storage.
- Make sure your workspace has adequate lighting.
- Use electronic files to avoid paperwork buildup in your home, and use an online platform like Microsoft Teams to manage workflow with colleagues.
Sources: Rocky Balsamo, Weidel Real Estate, Princeton, N.J.; Bernice Helman, PSA, Coldwell Banker Helman, Terre Haute, Ind.; Lori Holt, CRS, GRI, Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices, Montpelier, Vt.; Michelle Goddu Peck, Magnolia Real Estate, Mooresville, N.C.; Suzette Peoples, ABR, GRI, Peoples Properties, Sugar Land, Texas; Penny Stettinius, C2EX, Latter & Blum Inc., REALTORS®, Slidell, La.; Jay Thompson, ABR, CRS, eXp Realty, Peoria, Ariz.